Monday, January 5, 2015

Abandonment: Silver Queen Mine - Mojave, California

Silver Queen Home - Mojave, California
There is a magazine called Arizona Highways that's been around a long time. They feature great photographs and photographers. Ansel Adams was a regular contributor for many years.

About 60 years ago they ran an article called The Man Who Came Back, which basically said that photographers should revisit places they've previously photographed. As one becomes more experienced and has refined photographic vision, they can create better images than they did the first time around.

I mentioned before that the Silver Queen Mine near Mojave was the first abandoned site that I ever photographed. I've actually been back once since the initial visit, but I felt that I needed to return. I wanted to create some different and perhaps better images than I'd previously done.
Silver Queen Remnants - Mojave, California
The site looks mostly the same. When I first visited the mine it was 100% abandoned. Now it is not. The mine has been reopened, but the active part is on the other side of a hill and fenced off from the abandoned part. A couple walls that were standing before have since fallen. The graffiti has changed some, too. But, for the most part, everything is the same.

I ventured around the property a little more than before. I found a shaft that had been boarded up, but someone had accessed it. A bunch of small holes were dug near the shaft, I'm guessing for soil samples. I think this had to do with the mine reopening.

All of these photographs were captured using a Nikon D3300 DSLR and a Nikkor 40mm AF-S DX f/2.8G Micro lens. 
Dumont Television - Mojave, California
Broken Television - Mojave, California
The Lost Chair - Mojave, California
Orange Nail, Green Board - Mojave, California
Salyer Los Angeles - Mojave, California
Window Chair - Mojave, California
Lifeless Mine - Mojave, California
The Wall Was Lost - Mojave, California
When All Is Lost - Mojave, California
The Mine Shaft - Mojave, California

No comments:

Post a Comment