Friday, January 30, 2015

Urbex Images - Flickr Friday Favorites

Welcome to Urbex Images - Flickr Friday Favorites, a new series of posts to be featured right here on The Urban Exploration Photography Blog. For those unaware, this blog has a Flickr group called Urbex Images. I created the group about two weeks ago, and already there are tons of great photographs being added to the group photo pool.

I've been blown away by the talented photographers who have joined and shared their work. It's all been really great stuff! I've been highly impressed with the photographs in the group. It's been inspirational for me personally. If you want to be inspired, check out the photographs shared on the Urbex Images Flickr Group!

I wanted to share some of my favorite photographs from the group pool. I wanted to give some exposure and credit to the great photographers who have joined Urbex Images and shared their work. Please check out each of their photostreams. Obviously, this is just a small sample of what's in the group pool.

My hope is that this series will be a weekly thing (quite obviously, to be posted every Friday). It was a lot more work to put this together than I would have guessed (I did learn some things about Flickr that I never knew before), so I may not be able to do this every week. We'll see.

All of the photographs below are from the Urbex Images group pool. The photographers own the copyrights to their photographs (please, don't steal--it's not cool). I asked for and received permission to use each of the images in this post. Thanks to everyone who participated! Enjoy.
Old Train Station, Detroit MI by Lukas Dreser
This photograph has great contrast. I really like the balance of it, with the chair at the bottom right and the windows at the top left. There's a line to lead the viewer between these two spots. I like the gritty, lonely feeling the image has and how it's a bit uneasy.
Senior Citizen Mansion by Urbex.with.Flo
The missing key is what makes this photo great, and that's exactly what the photographer wants the viewer to key in on (pun intended). The repeated lines and circles add interest, and the Viola Forte (at least that's what I think it says) at the top left is the punchline.
Cold Demons by Szydlak likes Abandoned Places
What I love about this photograph is the depth. It appears 3D, like you could just step into the scene. It also has a dark, cold feel that fits the subject perfectly.
Star Gazing by Jo-Anne Praught
This photograph is great because you feel like you are at this lonely old barn at night looking up at the vast starry sky. There is a loneliness to it, and, even though the building is large, it seems small in comparison to the universe.
Untitled by LostButNotForgotten
What makes this image is the sun shining through the the hole in the roof. It's a high-contrast point that draws the eye in. Then the ladder leads the viewer to the debris on the floor. The negative space has repeated circles upon close inspection, adding interest and even a slight dizziness.
Untitled by Fp4shooter
The desert wind blows the tattered curtains on a lonely night. This image has a great surreal, eerie feel to it. Two
 strobes were used to light the scene.
Urbex- Tapioca Farm by Ioanna Sakellaraki
It's as if, after dinner, the place was abandoned. It leaves a lot of questions. I like the repeated circles and the vintage cross-processed look of the photo.
Farewell to St. Nicks by andrew bacha
The space seems to go for infinity. The boots leave a lot of questions. There is a metaphoric message in this image. The lighting is fantastic.
Picture This by Ron Pinkerton
What I think makes this photograph great are the color contrast (yellow and blue) and the circular star trails. It is beautifully exposed. It's a great example of light painting and long exposure techniques.
Abandoned State Hospital by skel bone
This still-life photograph of decay is well designed. I like the repeated horizontal lines. I like the side lighting. I like the subtle color. I like that some photography rules were broken. It has an interesting feel. 
Please go on over take a look at the Urbex Images Flickr group to see a whole lot more great photographs by a number of talented artists. Check out each photographer listed above to see more of their wonderful work. Be sure to share this post on social media if you found it interesting. You can "Follow by Email" this blog on the right side of the page. Also, don't forget to "like" The Urban Exploration Photography Blog on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment