Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Barstow To The Border - An Epic Urbex Adventure

Waterpark - Newberry Springs, California
I just got back from a road trip to Utah. Unfortunately it was not a photography trip. I did manage to capture a few hundred exposures, but none of them were in the urban exploration genre.

The furthest I'd ever been along Interstate 15 east of Barstow was Newberry Springs, California. This is where the abandoned Lake Dolores Waterpark is located. However, I got to see well beyond that this time around.

What I found is that the I-15 is literally littered with abandoned structures, especially in California between Barstow and the California/Nevada border. Every exit seems to have at least one place worth exploring. There are abandoned homes, gas stations, restaurants, water parks, mines, hotels, etc.

This would be an epic adventure for someone. It would at least take two or three days to complete. There are hundreds of structures to photograph. If you didn't take long at any one spot, you could probably cover Barstow to Baker in one day and Baker to Primm, Nevada the next.

I'm not sure if this is something that I'll ever get around to. I'd love to do it, but it's not likely to happen any time soon. It would make for an interesting project, no doubt about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment