Thursday, September 3, 2015

A Boron Air Force Station Story

Old Yield Sign - Boron, California
I received an e-mail from John Taylor, who was stationed at the now abandoned Boron Air Force Station back in the 1960's. He shared a few memories of his time there. I found it quite interesting, so I asked John if I could post it here and he agreed.

"I was stationed at Boron AFS from 1966 through 1967. I was the Non-Commisioned Officer In Charge (NCOIC) of the power plant which was located in the fenced area at the top of the hill. Many of the buildings in your photo's were not there and must have come in after I left. There was an underground bomb shelter next to the power plant with food for months as well as water and sleeping quarters.

"One thing you may find interesting, the search radar was so powerful any public address system in the city of Boron would let out a loud screech every time the search antenna would line up with the town. The town of Boron had a drive in movie which consisted of a large canvas screen held up by telephone poles. Not much to Boron in 1966.

"I was due to either reenlist, be discharged or change over to the civilian side and continue to be in charge of the power plant under civil engineering. I got out and moved back to Chicago and sold engine generator equipment for Caterpillar. From your story it sounds like a good move as they turned [the base] into a prison. I enjoyed my time at Boron as I like the outdoors and the open spaces and was not married at the time."


It's interesting to hear the stories from those who worked or lived in places that are now abandoned. It really makes the silent walls come alive. It is much easier to imagine what it must have been like to be there when the place was full of life. Thanks, John, for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment