Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veterans Day 2015

Old Yield Sign - Boron, California
It's Veterans Day in America. This is the day that we honor and thank those who are serving or have served in a branch of the United States military. I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of those who have been in America's armed forces, because without you and all those like you we wouldn't have the freedoms that we enjoy today.

Something that you might not know about me is that I was enlisted in the Air Force for four years. I don't talk about it all that much, but it was an important step. My life would be a lot different if I hadn't made the choice to serve, and I'm confident that the decision was a good one.

My family has a history of serving in the U.S. military. My dad spent 20 years in the Navy. His dad was in the Army. I have uncles and cousins that served in different branches. An ancestor of mine even fought under General George Washington in our war for independence. 
Abandonment - Victorville, California
None of this has anything to do with urban exploration or photography, other than it might explain my fascination with abandoned military bases. The two images in this post are of Air Force bases that now sit abandoned and decrepit.

When I was a kid we usually lived in military housing. Even though the bases are different, the architecture is similar and I'm often reminded of my childhood when I explore and photograph abandoned military installations.

On this Veterans Day, as I honor and appreciate the veterans of the U.S. armed forces, I also am introspective. I'm reflecting on my own past--the child of a veteran and my own service--and how that has in a way molded who I am today. It's a good opportunity for me to contemplate my life and why I am the way that I am.

2 comments:

  1. I've been to both bases. They're so awesome. I need to go back to Boron though. I didn't have time to explore it completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Jim! I need to get back to both of those places, as well, especially George AFB.

      Delete