Saturday, February 27, 2016

Abandonment Engagement Portraits

Chairs - Tehachapi, California
I don't generally like photographing people, and I think it's mostly because people have an unrealistic idea of what they should look like. People want the pictures of themselves to be perfect--that is, they want to look perfect in the photos. But everyone has "flaws" and scars and such. Nobody is perfect.

I think it is our imperfections that make us beautiful. I find photographs of "broken" people to be far more interesting than pictures of "perfect" people. It's the photographer's job to highlight the beauty that other people miss in the brokenness.

If I were to say that to a potential client I would not get hired for portrait work.

While I don't like photographing people, I do have experience photographing people. I've done weddings and portraits and even some corporate work.

Recently I photographed Christina and Christopher's engagement portraits. I tried a few different styles and went to several different locations. I also convinced them to go to an abandoned place nearby that I've photographed before.

What I like about this concept is that people are imperfect and broken, and so their relationship is going to be imperfect and broken. Most engagement photographs show a beautiful seemingly perfect location. But that's not truth, it's not genuine. It's unrealistic.

The abandoned site is symbolic. These two people love each other despite the problems and scars of life, despite the imperfections. That's real.

I used a Sony RX100 II to capture these images. They were post-processed using Alien Skin Exposure X.
Purple Car - Tehachapi, California
Yellow Oven - Tehachapi, California
Mobile Home - Tehachapi, California

No comments:

Post a Comment